5.9.06

Turkey '06

Dear Friends and Family,

Thank you so much for being a part of our trip to Turkey! It was incredible to experience the hospitality and openness of the Turkish people and to worship with and encourage the small but growing Turkish church. Two members of our team, Beth and Beverly, put on a small medical clinic at the Istanbul Protestant Church, where Timur and Heather Topuz, are leaders. The event ran for four days and was opened up to several churches in Istanbul. It was a great success, as many brought friends and family to receive free vision and hearing screenings and to seek advice for medical problems. The church leadership was encouraged by the progress that was made in establishing a presence in the community.
The rest of us spent most of our time going out into the city and talking to people. Every morning we spent a while praying for the city of Istanbul and that the Lord would guide us to the correct people. Each of us connected with a few Turkish women and we were able to share about our lives and faith as well as learn about their experiences as Turkish women. Julia Horvath and I were paired up for street evangelism and were getting a bit discouraged when we decided to approach a group of three college-aged girls. We asked them how to get to a particular tourist spot and ended up chatting for three hours about culture, religion, and politics, among other things. The girls invited us to visit Buyukada, an island in the Marmara Sea by Istanbul, with them and we readily accepted. We spent a lovely day sightseeing and exchanged e-mail addresses. Please pray that the Lord would work in their hearts through continued communication!
Over the weekend while we were in Turkey, we were able to travel to the smaller city of Eskishehir, to visit the young church plant there. We spent a few days in wonderful fellowship with the two missionary couples and the handful of believers. Our group more than doubled the congregation on Sunday! Please pray for encouragement and protection for the missionaries and believers and for courage for seekers.
The trip was personally very valuable because I was able to see first-hand an example of what ministry among Muslims is like and to make connections with several missionaries. I was encouraged by how the Lord equipped me to face the challenges of a new culture, the language barrier and street evangelism. He used us to bless the faithful workers God has planted there and we came home with a clearer picture of cross-cultural ministry and how we fit into His plan for making His name known in every tribe, tongue, people and nation. We hope to share stories and pictures with you all at a gathering in the near future. I’ll keep you posted!
The day after I returned from Turkey I started my internship with the Muslim ministry at Wyoming Avenue Baptist Church in Philadelphia. I’ve visited the neighborhood mosque several times now to meet Muslim women. I ask for your prayers for wisdom and guidance as I seek to form relationships with these women in the Feltonville community and as I make plans for long-term ministry. I’d love to talk to you about my vision and how I believe the Lord is leading me to serve. I thank you again for making it possible for me to serve Muslims in the name of the one true God.

In Christ,
Melissa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home